August 24, 2007

Amish Bars Winter Quilt

Piles of unused fabrics and unfinished quilt tops were driving me crazy during the first months of 2007.  So I buckled down... and concentrated... and then I was on a roll... and many scraps of cut cloth became pieced tops, ready to be taken to Ellen Patton, my local long-arm machine quilter, who lives on the Navy submarine base (not in a submarine, but a gracious 100 year old wooden house with a wrap-around glass porch, full basement and full attic -- wow!).  Now that Ellen's work is done, I have yet another pile of quilts, all much closer to completion.  I just finished binding this Amish Bars quilt, 45" x 58", in holiday fabrics with gold quilting thread.  To make the binding, fabric was bias-cut into strips and machine sewn to the front of the quilt.  Then the binding was folded over the raw edge and stitched by hand to the back of the quilt.  Incidentally, the back is a clean and simple white cotton.  The red and green fabrics are practically vintage -- I bought them in the early 90s!  This quilt will go into inventory for sale at my fall and winter craft shows.

No comments: