September 15, 2007

Muriel Maffre, Ballerina

I miss living in SF.  I miss walking briskly in the Financial District, going to Chinatown for lunch and groceries, the culture and energy of the city, the diversity, and the independent businesses.  I miss the San Francisco Ballet.  My cousin Gloria and I had season tickets.  We used to attend Thursday evening performances.  Muriel Maffre, the impossibly long French girl, was my favorite dancer since I first saw her perform "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated," a modern dance perfect for her odd extensions.  In 2004 Tien took me to see the Nutcracker and, once the music started, the tears flowed, for I was in the War Memorial Opera House watching ballet again and Muriel was the Snow Queen.  She left the company this past May, so I was so glad to find this modern improvisation piece.  Her movements are mesmerizing.

I realize how good I had it now that I don't have it anymore.

No comments: