September 3, 2007

My Cousin Dennis

A zillion years ago, my eldest cousin Dennis was my babysitter on nights when my parents went out.  He remembered that I never wanted to go to sleep (it's still true; why sleep when I can play?).  Creativity runs in my family and Dennis had a garage band, so I thought he was pretty cool, plus he was way older than me.  For many years now, he has been running a post production facility doing highly technical work for the television and entertainment industry.  Dennis is not shy about sharing his opinions which, sometimes, are of great amusement to us all.  (He's a really good sport too.  If you can't tell your family how you feel, who can you tell?)  I don't get to see him very often, but we got to hang out today for a few rare hours.  He colorfully described someone to us as one who thinks she is creative -- Den's opinion is that her product is crap.  I found myself laughing out loud.  Oops, that's bad karma, isn't it?  After some thought, I knew that I was laughing because my cousin is bold and says exactly what is on his mind, without worrying if or how he might be criticized.  I admire that kind of courage and appreciate his honesty.  As for me, I still believe in karma -- that's just my opinion.

No comments: