October 12, 2007

Needs Hair

This outfit was FUN to make.  I'm tired now, but the hair will be a gas to work on tomorrow.  She's got a colorful body, so locks will match.  Maybe an up-do?

For a long time, I was scared to create without patterns.  I had a hard time remembering what it was like to be seven years old, sitting on the floor surrounded by scraps, cutting without measuring and then sewing by hand, not caring how my stitches looked, and focusing only on the end result.  The creativity flowed and I usually came up with a great outfit (or so I thought as a child).  I still have some of the clothes I made for my Barbie.

About 2 years ago I took a dollmaking class from Barbara Chapman who makes gorgeous multilayered dolls with richly textured fabrics.  One of her dolls hangs on my wall.  We students followed her lead, eyeballing measurements, cutting fabrics with estimates and guesses, and stitched by hand.  I WAS SEVEN YEARS OLD AGAIN!  She said, "If it doesn't show, it doesn't count," in reference to imperfect sewing and hidden construction.  So there we are.

No comments: