December 5, 2007

Eth-Noh-Tec, Tangerines & Nioi Bukuro

Oh my GOSH, can I fit it all of this orange into one posting?!

Eth-Noh-Tec:  My teacher Nancy Wang and her husband Robert Kikuchi-Yngojo will be performing this Saturday at 7:30p at University of San Diego's Manchester Conference Auditorium.  Their creative storytelling is nothing like most of us have ever seen and I will be there to watch them again.  Try to go -- you will leave with a full heart.

Tien and I devoured the sweet/slightly tart and seedless fruit which were contained within these skins, but now they are drying in my kitchen to flavor my Chinese cooking.  The fruit came from the tree of my Uncle Bucky (Bock Kwong) who lives in Sacramento.  When Auntie Frances called my mother to ask, "Should I scrape the insides before drying?," I got the idea that I should do this too.

So much for nioi bukuro!  I got carried away stuffing small lavender pillows and they will not have the traditional nioi bukuro shape where the sack is tied on top to resemble a gourd.  Nioi bukuro were small sachets to be tucked into kimono.  Of course mine are too big, but it was a thought.  I will try again next year.  The orange wool fabric came from a child's garment.

No comments: