February 1, 2009

Happy Birthday To Me

I'm 49 today, YIPPEE! Age is a matter of the mind; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Each year, I feel just a little bit wiser.

Guy Welch, a cameraman and artist, was my Dad's coworker at KTVU, once an independent station on Ch. 2 in Oakland, long before it became a Fox affiliate. Sometimes on our birthdays, Dad would ask Mr. Guy (as we knew him) to draw birthday cards. Dad brought this home many years ago. Dad knew I was crocheting, and Mr. Guy's interpretation was knitting needles and a ball of yarn. Mom had sewn this beautiful orange gaucho outfit with a vest (we found a white ruffled blouse to go with it) -- when I wore it to school, my friends gushed. All the memories in this 10"x 14" card are wonderful to me. Guy Welch is gone now, but I still treasure this bit of his art.

"Birthdays come but once a year
Some in Spring and some in Fall
But of all the birthdays in the world
Your birthday is the best of all"

2 comments:

Ayala Levinger said...

Happy birthday, Lauren!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!