June 15, 2008

Hurling Words

As a kid, my Chinese friends excelled in math. Not me. I did better in English and love(d) writing. While covering journal pages with scribbles straight from the paint bottle, my hand began to write secret thoughts in an unending stream. The words felt safe enough to emerge because they are mostly illegible and will be covered by ephemeria. No wonder art is used as therapy.

In the What Was I Thinking category, these giant cones of skinny yarn just had to come home with me. I like the yarns together and started a mitered shawl. If it comes out nicely, there is yarn for many more. Aha, another ABC Rags product to sell! The multicolored wool has lots of lanolin in it and leaves a waxy coating on my fingers and needles.

Cast on 5 stitches
Row 1: k1, yo, k1, yo, k1 (mark this stitch), yo, k1, yo, k1
Row 2: purl all stitches
Row 3: k1, yo, k to marked stitch, yo, k1 (marked stitch), yo, k to last stitch, yo, k1
Increase every knit row as for Row 3, until shawl is the desired size.

Sleep has not been good lately and, those who know me will remember I'm a night owl. Recently, no matter when I retire, I arise at 8a or 9a, which means only 6-7 hours of sleep. When waking in the middle of the night I want to rush to the sewing room to do something, anything. Several projects obscure the surface of my table and boredom is never an issue. Creatively, I'm about to burst and it feels wonderful, as if freedom is around the corner. I'll keep following it.

No comments: