November 16, 2008

Wish Dolls

Those who know me well are familiar with my desire to control situations. Over the years I've worked hard to let go, and I'm still not great at it, but I'm definitely more relaxed. I loved reading Shakti Gawain's book Creative Visualization and, specifically, the Pink Bubble Technique (keep reading). This technique inspired Wish Dolls which I made and sold a few years ago. Each doll had a back pocket. Inside the pocket was a note that read, "Envision your goal; inscribe it on this card; set the card in the doll's pocket; allow the Wish Doll to bring it to you. Best wishes!" Eventually, I sent Ms. Gawain a doll - she inspired me, plus the technique really works.


The following is from an interview with the author. "...I use a very simple technique that I call the pink bubble technique. Once you've created the scene or the feeling that you want, you just imagine that you put it in a beautiful big pink bubble -- this is fun, you know -- and you just take that pink bubble containing your image or the feeling that you want. It doesn't have to be an image, it can just be a feeling. And just very lightly toss it in the air and release it. Let go of it. Now symbolically, what this means is that you've visualized it, you've created it, you've asked for it, and you release it. The reason we need to do that is because we have a tendency to want to hang on to everything, and to try to make it happen. That's how we've been taught, is that for anything to happen you have to make it happen. But really, that's the opposite of how it really works. You have to allow things to happen. The more you sort of relax -- it doesn't mean you don't pursue something or work at it, but the more relaxed you are as you're doing it, the more open you are, the more you can see the different options that you have. So as you release the pink bubble, symbolically you're saying, 'Okay, I want this to happen, and now I'm open. And I'm willing to have it happen, and if it's not going to happen, I'm willing to see something even better.' I sometimes say that affirmation: 'This, or something better, is now manifesting for me.' Because sometimes we think we know what we want, and in actual fact there's something even better for us that we haven't realized yet."

Although I've moved onto other dolls, I did find three Wish Dolls waiting to be sewn. I have a show in one week and hope to put these out when they're done.

No comments: