February 5, 2009

A Woman's Work is Never Done

Would you look at the title of this post and quilt?! Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy! No wonder I've felt panicky about chores these past few days.

When I first started quilting, I loved vintage patterns and images. Southern belles and elegant ladies of the 1930-40s were a favorite and, rather than embroider them on dish towels, I made them part of my quilt (53" x 59"). It took so many years to finish this project I daresay the colors are outdated. Not only that, but there are fade marks where the sun took its toll, plus I can't remember who machine quilted it for me. I see that the lower right block is not positioned properly, but oh well, too late now! Who knows -- maybe I did it on purpose ;-).

Some of the roles of a woman are written in the horizontal white block: playmate, comedian, maid, messenger, mind reader, social secretary, defender, organizer, devil's advocate, #1 fan, nurturer...

...driver, ray of hope, masseuse, sunshine, pet groomer...

...bookkeeper, lover, listener, caregiver, miracle worker...

Some of my pencil lines are still visible. I wonder if it will wash out after all these years?!

No comments: