April 28, 2010

Doorstops

These are the best dressed bricks in town! Now our interior doors won't slam shut when our windows are open. Why didn't I make these before?

I gathered bricks, batting, glue, pins, needle/thread, scissors and fabric. The fabric is a memo sample of silk taffeta from Janice.

I covered the brick with leftover quilt batting so the edges would be soft. Fabric glue holds it together.

The outside silk took a little more futzing because I wanted the doorstops to have clean lines and no lumpy areas. I cut away a lot of excess fabric that would otherwise be on the inside.

I did a lot of pinning and hand stitching. I'll also admit that I spent far too many hours working on this project, given they'll be on the floor, but I'm happy with the outcome.

Even after all that hand work, the stitches were covered with felt. The felt protects the fabric from wear and allows the doorstop to slide on the floor.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Absolutely stunning!