November 4, 2010

Megan is My Tulip

During my brother's family's visit to San Diego in 2007 I watched my tiny niece, Megan, asleep in our living room.  I was facing her upside-down and, it occurred to me that her lips looked like a tulip.  Ever since then, I've called her Tulip, and she has repeatedly corrected me, "My name's not Tulip.  My name is Megan."  She's older now and has been asking, "What's a tulip?"  Despite telling her the above story, she still doesn't understand. Photos of tulips are in the mail to her and this wall hanging will be delivered when we see her during the holidays.  I know, it's sort of a grown up piece for a toddler, but if she's anything like her brother and sister, she won't stay little for very long.  One of these days, I'll also explain Two Lips.

I used canvas, gel medium, torn pages from a bulb catalog, tissue paper, acrylic paint, embroidery floss, beads and sequins.  The Robert John Thornton (1768-1837) botanical was printed on prepared canvas, "painted" with sewing machine stitches, colored pencils and acrylic paint.
15" x 19"


This photo is on the back of the wall hanging.

2 comments:

Nona said...

Lauren, such a beautiful work of art and keepsake for her to keep forever. A real treasure! Nona

Mike said...

I Love it!