November 17, 2010

Small Scale

I am having success with small scale creativity. It's a relief to feel/write that after starting work and stopping three times on the recent wall hanging (aka the Bane of My Existence).

My new little works will be refrigerator magnets (gifts). To make these, I started with scraps of canvas and primed them with gel medium. Acrylic textile paint was thinned with water and randomly applied with a wide brush. I scrawled color with oil sticks. A few rubber stamp images were pressed on. These didn't impress clearly because the dried gel medium makes an uneven surface on canvas, but I like the way it turned out. With my favorite scribble-writing, I applied textile paint straight from the bottle. I machine stitched in red or black thread, and in straight and decorative stitches. I cut the canvas into rough 1" pieces. Each piece was "framed" using black or gold paint from my paint brush. Bits of fabric or paper were glued to some of the pieces. Nearly every piece will get at least one seed bead stitched to it. Lastly, I'll glue a magnet to the back.

If you try this, be sure to allow all the layers to dry in between!


1 comment:

Nancy said...

I really like these!