April 7, 2011

Modifying Nancy Ann

I bought this lot of dolls some time ago but didn't know until today that they are Nancy Ann Story Book dolls from the 1940s or so. Some are bisque, the newer ones are plastic, some are jointed, and all are broken or missing limbs. And there's one extra head. While cleaning the dolls with water and alcohol, I also scraped off what was left of old hair. There was something gross about it, esp when chunks of "scalp" came off with hair, ugh. My plan is to repair the dolls and make clothes for them. They'll also get a sophistication treatment -- I can't have my dolls looking like little girls! They'll be drastically different, if I have my way. Stay tuned and let's see how they turn out.

Incidentally, Nancy Ann Story Book dolls were created by a woman from SF, like me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing the results!
Cheers,
Palin in SF, NM

Tzotsy said...

Of course they'll get a sophistication treatment from you! Can't wait to see them when they are all done.

Nancy said...

Can't wait to see what you do!

Lauren said...

their personalities are beginning to show. i painted masks over their eyes bc underneath is a woman who is still a little girl.