July 22, 2011

Dream Machine

This little beauty is nearly mine. It belonged to Margaret, the spinster aunt of my dear friend Betsy. Betsy gave me first crack at this 1939 Featherweight model 221-1 and, tomorrow, it is going into the shop for servicing. I took the machine apart and cleaned it, but there are places I don't dare go. The electrical cord is crumbling too, which the shop will rewire. Featherweights are legendary for their perfectly straight stitches. I want to see what they're all talking about! Additionally, I'll have a 3/4-size sewing machine to take with me when Tien wants to go on golf trips.

Inside the tray of attachments was a small ruler. Read carefully and you'll be transported in time. "Instructress" is not a word we use these days, but is oh so lovely to utter. Miss Spain's sewing school is gone now and, in its place is a Bank of America building.

4 comments:

nacyanne said...

I am so jealous! Enjoy!

Cynthia Marie said...

Just Gorgeous. What a find.

Anonymous said...

Great little machine. I made a skirt on a friends and have wanted one ever since.

About your satin pillow cases, what type of satin did you use. I've seen satin in the bridal section, but it's not washable.

Thanks, Cam

Lauren said...

Cam, keep looking -- I coveted a Featherweight for years before this one became available to me. As for pillowcases, I used that very same non-washable satin. I washed/dried it first. It says "non-washable" on the label because the texture changes (wrinkles) and would ruin your evening gown. It's fine for everyday pillowcases. I've used heavyweight white bridal satin too and the wrinkles are worse.