September 12, 2013

The Tooth Fairy

At my first art shows, my first handmade items were Tooth Fairies.  I went crazy buying fabrics that were fun and kid-friendly, but not cute or juvenile.  I sewed zillions of them, but in recent years they've rarely made appearances unless people ask.  I brought them to a show recently and I'd forgotten how wonderful it is to watch people rack their brains trying to think of a child to buy one for.  Once I had an older man tell me he was getting one for his adult daughter just to prove that the Tooth Fairy really does exist.  It's my favorite Tooth Fairy buyer's story.

The Tooth Fairy is a 9" doll with a hand-drawn face.  She is stuffed with quilt batting and is purposely flat to go under a child's pillow.  On her back is a pocket for the fallen tooth and then the coin that replaces it.  When not in use, the Tooth Fairy can hang on the wall by the little loop on her back.  $22 buys a whole lot of fun for children when they begin losing teeth at about age 5 or 6.

Sometimes people ask me for boy fairies.  Well, I have something to say about that:  Tooth Fairies are female.  Everyone knows fairies are female, save for a few dear friends of mine.  I'm from SF, after all.






No comments: